Currently listing 122 recipes in 22 categories!
1 can green pigeon peas (goya kind)
2 cups white rice
2 ounces diced smoked ham...A hand full
1 yellow onion
2 tablespoons corn oil or olive oil...whatever you like to use
½ cup sofrito
¼ cup tomato sauce(goya), that's half the can
1 teaspoon salt
1 package of sazon(to give the rice color)
3 bay leafs
1 whole banana leaf(it gaves favor to the rice)
1 dash of adobo(goya with cumin)
1 dash of black pepper
1. Rinse the rice with water and drain well and set aside.
2. In a 4 quart cooking pan, add the oil and smoked ham and the chopped onions simmer over moderate heat for about 3 minutes or into ham and onions are some what cooked/while stirring occasionally
3. Add the sofrito,tomato sauce,sazon,salt,black pepper and the bay leaf simmer for another 3 minutes while continuing to stir.
4. Turn up the heat to moderate high and add the can of beans. Simmer for 3 minutes while continuing to stir.
5.Add the rice and 1 cup of water.
6. Mix all the items well. Once the water starts to boil again, reduce the heat to moderate high and cook uncovered until most of the water has evaporated.
7. Reduce the heat to low, stir the rice again and put the rice in the middle of the pan in a mount then cover the rice with the banana leaf then cover the top of the pot with aluminum foil and put the lid on.
8. Cook for 25 minutes. Stir the rice and flip the top of the rice to the bottom and spread the rice and cover the rice the same way it was continue to cook until done. Sample the rice to see if it is done. It should be soft to chew. Makes approximately 4 servings.
This rice is the best rice that I had ever tasted in my life. Those of you who are not Puerto Rican should at least try this delisous rice!!!!!! Left by: Danielle Ha (8 Nov 2009)
Rate this Recipe: Comment on this Recipe:
For spam prevention, enter code:
Other Recipes in this Category:
Recipe Cloud Tags: